Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The marble slab heaving gently like a breathing breast

Debashish Banerji Collaboration [XIX-1] Winter, 1993
When I first came across Sri Aurobindo’s Relics at his birthplace in Calcutta, I had the experience, through both sight and touch, of the marble slab heaving gently like a breathing breast. This experience was accompanied with a profound inner sense of the stone slab being His physical body. This experience has subsequently been repeated at every site where Sri Aurobindo’s Relics are enshrined, and his Samadhi at the Ashram.

When I first came into possession of the book Savitri, I had an identical experience. The heavy paperback tome with its blue cover carrying Sri Aurobindo’s symbol breathed gently like the lord in repose. Ever since, I have looked upon this book as a physical part of Sri Aurobindo.

No comments:

Post a Comment