Welcome to the website of The Mother's work in Orissa
The Mother’s work in Orissa started in 1949 when two Study Circles were formed with Sri Aurobindo’s permission (One at Rairangpur in 1949 another at Cuttack in 1950). Sri Ramakrishna Das fondly known as Babaji Maharaj who was a sanyasi at Ajodhya joined Sri Aurobindo Ashram, Pondicherry, on 2nd February 1945. Babaji Maharaj had aspired for the people of Orissa to open to The Mother’s and Sri Aurobindo’s Consciousness. With Mother’s happy approval and Prapatti as an able instrument, the first phase of work included organisation of Study Circles, Students and Youth Associations, Women’s Study Circles, zonal and state level Study Circle Meets etc.. In the next phase, Integral Education Centres, Relics Centres with experiments in collective living were initiated . Prapatti under the active guidance of Babaji Maharaj had been organising all these activities. When Prapatti left his body, Babaji Maharaj wanted all organisational work of Orissa to be organised in Orissa, centrally from Matrubhaban, Cuttack.
Sri Ramakrishna Das
Babaji Maharaj is an adorable name among all those in Orissa, whose lives have been influenced by The Mother and Sri Aurobindo.
This great personality was born on 14th August,1908, in the village Rairpur of Jagatsinghpur district in Orissa as the youngest child of Sri Krushna Chandra Routray and Smt. Jumpha Devi.
Even from his child hood he had a very strong inclination towards spiritual life. He started reading the spiritual literatures and great epics like Ramayan, Mahabharat and others at the age of nine and was deeply touched by the life of the devotee Raghu Behera who could realise the Divine through Nama Japa (repeating the Name of the Divine with faith, reliance and aspiration). He himself started the Nama Japa even from that age and decided to dedicate his life in the pursuit of a divine life.
At the age of sixteen he joined the state services in the settlement office at Cuttack. As was the practice of the time, his parents insisted upon him to get married. To escape from this pressure he got himself shifted to Ranchi, Bihar. Finally he quit his job and came to Ayodhya in the year 1928 in search of a spiritual guide (Guru). He was accepted as a disciple by the famous sadhu Sri Mouni Baba Ramasarandas Maharaj who was the disciple of the great Yogi Sri Raghunathdasji.
He was deeply involved in the rigorous sadhana at Ayodhya when he came in contact with the literatures of Sri Aurobindo and The Mother. This was to bring a complete change in him as he became conscious of the aim of his life. With the permission of The Mother, he joined the Ashram at Pondicherry on 2nd February, 1945.
He recognised The Mother and Sri Aurobindo as the Divine incarnated and followed the sadhana of transformation with a great fervor. He prayed to The Mother that all may be conscious of this wonderful opportunity of serving the Divine upon earth and his prayer was answered by Her in the form of response from Orissa.
His able collaborator was Sri Prapatti, a professor from Orissa, who joined him in the year 1954 and through their joint effort of prayer and aspiration, added a new chapter in the spiritual history of Orissa.
This great spiritual personality left his body on 8th November, 1998.
Prapatti, a well known name to the members of Sri Aurobindo Study Circles of Orissa, was born on 30th April 1924 in a village Bharogole, 42 Mouza of District Cuttack. His parents had named him Kangali Charan Pati. In the year 1960, on his 46th birth day The Mother gave him a new name, Prapatti - the surrendered one.
Prapatti, outshone academically and completed his post graduate in Philosophy at Allahabad University, Banaras. He began his career as a Professor of Philosophy in the colleges of Orissa and served at Baripada, Puri and Jeypore.
He came in contact with Sri Aurobindo Ashram in 1949 through his friend Sri Abani Mohan Ghose, son of well known educationist Sri Lalit Mohan Ghose. Sri Lalit Mohan Ghose was the founder member of Sri Aurobindo Study Circle in Orissa. Prapatti wrote to the Sri Aurobindo Ashram and his letter was answered by Babaji Maharaj Sri Ramakrishna Das. Maharajji asked him to come to Pondicherry for the Darshan of Sri Aurobindo and The Mother.
He came for good to Sri Aurobindo Ashram in September, 1954. Under the guidance of Babaji Maharaj Sri Ramakrishna Das, on 21st February 1958, a quarterly magazine Nabajyoti was published under Prapatti’s editorship. This led to the establishment of Nabajyoti Karyalaya which served as a bridge between the people of Orissa and the Presence of the Divine Mother at Pondicherry.
When The Mother's Grace was ready to descend upon the land of Orissa Prapatti was the able instrument to shoulder the responsibility. Babaji Maharaj advised him to visit Orissa frequently to organise the fast growing Sri Aurobindo Study Circles. He visited every nook and corner of Orissa to spread the message of Sri Aurobindo and The Mother.
Under the guidance of Babaji Maharaj and direct supervision of Prapatti, thousands of Study Circles and Sri Aurobindo Integral schools flourished and took a living form to serve the Divine Mother in Orissa.
He left his body on 28th June 1989, at Sri Aurobindo Ashram, Pondicherry. [10:24 AM]