Friday, August 20, 2010

Trial of Sri Aurobindo directed by Urmi Chakraborty

The 20th century saw in Sri Aurobindo a rare, harmonious combination of the fecundity of thought with intellectual acumen, of the intuitive vision of truth with the extraordinary capacity of expressin
Event: Calcutta Telegraph – Friday , August 20 , 2010 FILM SHOW
August 20 at Nandan II; 6 pm onwards: Films Division, Government of India and Nandan, West Bengal Film Centre jointly present Indian Independence on Celluloid II: Unsung Heroes of Bengal featuring documentaries on some great patriots of Bengal. Screening schedule: The INA Trial (dir: Dinkar Chowdhury) at 6 pmMatangini Hazra(dir: Shila Datta) at 6.25 pmTrial of Sri Aurobindo (dir: Urmi Chakraborty) at 6.50 pm;The Immortal Martyr: Jatin Das (dir: Satarupa Sanyal) at 7.15 pm; and Bagha Jatin (dir: Harisadhan Das Gupta) at 7.50 pm.
Science Meets Art & Humanism: The Final Reconciliation Towards the New Light Evolving into Sri Aurobindo's Supermind & the Descent of the Supramental ...
An approach to organizations/systems based on fractals and Sri Aurobindo.... We heard some excerpts of Sri Aurobindo's life, his personality, a prayer and ...
Recitation of Savitri and its hearing benefits the person in his or hers course of life since they are Mantric Verses.
In this context we may also recall what Sri Aurobindo wrote to Amal Kiran regarding his ... There is no doubt that Sri Aurobindo has given a new life to the ...
Sri Aurobindo's augmented the Vedantic theory of perception based on his ...Sri Aurobindo discovered that the all the perceptive powers of the human mind ...
Sri Aurobindo raises the question however of whether the attempt to transcend the “illusory universe” is itself simply another part of the “illusion”: “All ...
SRI AUROBINDO SOCIETY CUDDALORE CENTRE TC NO 19 Inspired by Sri ...
The basic aim of Sri Aurobindo Society is to work towards individual perfection, social transformation and human unity based on a spiritual foundation. ...
Certificate Programme in Introduction to Sri Aurobindo Studies Certificate Programme in Communication Skills for BPO, ITeS & Related Sectors ...
As most of your discussion on pages 4 and 5 seem to be based on the same misunderstanding of my motives, I pass to your discussion of my reading of Sri Aurobindo's plays. Here I must admit that I was writing not as a historian but as a literary critic of the biographical school. I took up the plays at their chronological place in Sri Aurobindo life, summarized them, and then tried to present what I found interesting in them. (Again, "I" is the author of the book, not me personally. I really enjoy reading these plays – I have read each of them a half dozen times – and while I do not think they are among Sri Aurobindo's greatest poetic creations, they certainly are of considerable interest.) 
But in discussing them in a scholarly biography, there is a problem. All the plays are based on a literary model that was long out of fashion when Sri Aurobindo wrote them and is even more out of fashion now. It thus is difficult to discuss them as contributions to the field of English literature. What I found interesting in the plays is the activity of Sri Aurobindo's poetic imagination that finds expression in them. I also was struck by the fact that Sri Aurobindo wrote several of his plays when he had a week or two free while otherwise engaged in political action. (I bring this out in the book.) Why, I asked myself, did Sri Aurobindo write these plays? It seemed to me (thinking, as I have said, not as a psychologist or a historian, but as literary critic of the biographical school) that the creation of these plays, so unrelated to Sri Aurobindo's current outward activities, had something to do with the imaginative impulses of his higher vital and psychic beings. Here, obviously, I was straying beyond history properly speaking into speculative literary criticism. Some of your points you raise in regard to my presentation from the point of view of scientific psychology are well taken.
In a way I regret these brief detours (each only a sentence or two long) from my biographical narrative into speculative criticism. Still, I felt while writing that that I had to make this attempt to probe into the mystery of Sri Aurobindo's creative personality, and these inadequate passages were the result. Peter Heehs

No comments:

Post a Comment